PARENT FORUM AND PARENT COUNCIL
The Scottish Parliament has passed a new law called the Scottish Schools (Parental Involvement) Act 2006 to encourage and support more parents to become involved in their child’s education.
The main aims of the Act are to:
• help parents become more involved with their child’s education and learning
• welcome parents as active participants in the life of the school
• provide easier ways for parents to express their views and wishes.
To help achieve these aims, all parents will automatically be members of a Parent Forum at their child’s school and will be entitled to have a say in what happens at the school. As a member of the Parent Forum parents will have a say in selecting the Parent Council (the representative body) who will work on behalf of all parents at the school.
The role of the Parent Council is to:
• support the school in its work with pupils
• represent the views of all parents
• encourage links between the school, parents, pupils, pre school groups and the wider community
• report back to the Parent Forum.
The new Parent Council has been recognized in law since August 2007.
For more information on the Act or to find out about parents as partners in children’s learning please contact the school or visit the parent zone website on www.parentzonescotland.gov.uk
Mrs Nicky Campbell, Mr Calum Carnie, Mrs Sue Greenwood, Mr Jamie Houston, Mr Colin Jonhston, Mrs Fiona Kincaid, Mrs Julie Watson, Mrs Rebecca MacKinnon, Mrs Anne McAllister, Mr Gordon McNab, Mrs Mandy Peden, Mrs Joan Reynolds, Mr John Sinclair, Mrs Nancy Smith and Mrs Judith Vajk
Mr Peter Bain, Mr Neil Mitchell, Mr Murray Hamilton, Miss Nan Johnstone, Miss Tara Pollock and Mr Sam Martin
HEAD GIRL AND HEAD BOY
Jenny Tamplin and Jamie MacGregor
CHAIRPERSON Mrs Nicky Campbell; VICE-CHAIR Mrs Rebecca MacKinnon; TREASURER Mrs Joan Reynolds; CLERK Mrs Kathryn MacIntyre e-mail email@example.com