To visit our Physical Education Department's Own Website, please click on the following link
The PE department are committed to ensuring that pupils are cared for and engaged in lessons which are active and interesting.
The PE Curriculum will allow choice and a focus on developing responsible and respectful pupils, in a range of activities. We strive for continual improvement in results in our certificated courses and to provide opportunity for further study in Physical Education
Physical Education Standard Grade
Outline of Course
This is an opportunity for pupils with a genuine interest in personal performance and related theory to follow a two- year practical. The course aims to help pupils to understand the principles involved and how they are applied in physical education.
Assessment is based on three elements
- Practical Performance - internally assessed against performance criteria and worth 50% of final grade.
- Knowledge and Understanding - a written exam, externally assessed, worth 25% of the final grade.
- Evaluating - a written exam based on a video presentation externally assessed worth 25% of the final grade.
Certificates are awarded at Credit, General and Foundation levels.
Physical Education Higher / Intermediate 2
This course offers pupils the opportunity to develop and extend their skills and techniques in Physical Education and improve their performance. It makes an important contribution to a balanced education and may help them to progress to further education or employment. The course aims to develop individual abilities and to enhance your personal and social skills.
Outline of the Course
The course is split into three Units:
- Performance 40%
- Analysis and Development of Performance 60%
Forms of Assessment
Each Unit must be passed internally and then moderated and/or marked by an external assessor.
- Performance: Continuous assessment will require students to demonstrate effective performance in challenging contexts. The two best activities will form your practical grade.
- Analysis and Development of Performance: Candidates must pass three Learning Outcomes in order to satisfy the internal assessment procedures. A formal, external exam is sat at the end of the course.
The development of performance is the prime focus of the Higher Course in Physical Education. Practical experiential learning provides the opportunity to develop high standards of performance and the underpinning knowledge and understanding required for this development.
Candidates have the opportunity to study Physical Education at a challenging level and to develop critical and imaginative practice in order to achieve an understanding of performance and the ways in which it can be developed.
Physical Education provides opportunities for candidates to engage in activities which are, in themselves, competitive, creative, co-operative and individual. The Course provides opportunities for candidates to develop their individual interests and talents in a variety of ways.
Particular emphasis is placed on the development of personal and interpersonal skills. Positive attitudes and values are promoted during the interactions candidates have with teachers/lecturers and peers.
The Course makes an important contribution to a balanced general education, attracting many candidates who have an interest in Physical Education. Additionally, it may assist candidates to meet entry requirements for further education, higher education and employment. While many candidates who take the Course have progressed from Standard Grade Physical Education or Intermediate 2 Physical Education, others who have no previous qualifications in the subject will benefit from the experience of the Course.
This course or its Units may provide progression to:
- Advanced Higher Physical Education or its Units
- Higher National programmes
- Higher Education programmes
- Training and Employment
A stepping stone to further study at college/university. Involvement in physical activity is often seen as a useful, if not essential, asset by prospective employers and interviewing panels.
Useful websites for Standard Grade PE
<< Back to Subjects